In this article we will cover how to ensure you are running the latest version of Jaxx, and if need be, how to update your wallet.
If you are using the older version of Jaxx (Jaxx Classic), you will need to migrate over to the latest version of Jaxx Liberty.
If you are using the older version of Jaxx Liberty, please update to the latest version; this will ensure you have the latest updates to the app, infrastructure, bug fixes and most up-to-date security implementation.
You can find the latest versions for all supported platforms here.
Don't forget to back up your device with your 12-word backup phrase/mnemonic first.
How can I get my 12-word Backup Phrase?
After updating to the last version, if you have migrated from Jaxx classic to Jaxx Liberty, or you have done a clean reinstall*, you need to pair the new wallet with your backup phrase:
Jaxx makes it a priority to keep its users informed. If a new version of Jaxx Liberty is released, we notify our users. To get the most out of your Jaxx wallet, ensure you have the latest version.
*Clean reinstall means you have removed the app and install it again. (Recommended)
If the app is running on a desktop version (Windows or Mac), you need to follow these steps to do a clean reinstall:
1. For full safety, you need to save a copy of your 12-word Backup Phrase. Once you will reinstall Jaxx, you will need the 12 words to pair your wallet back.
You can find the Backup Phrase here: MENU > Tools > Backup Wallet > View Backup Phrase
Only when you have the 12-word Backup Phrase copied to a safe place and 100% correct, move on to the next steps.
For the next steps, you would need to be running a user with Administrator rights.
2. You will need to Uninstall Jaxx:
- For Windows go to C:\Users\<computer name>\AppData\Local\Programs\com.liberty.jaxx\
Or go to the search bar and enter Add/Remove programs and select. Then search for and select Jaxx Liberty and choose to uninstall.
- For macOS: open Finder and go to the Applications folder and then right-click on Jaxx and select Move to the Trash.
3. Once you have successfully uninstalled Jaxx, you will need to wipe the local remaining files of your hard drive by deleting the Jaxx folder as per the instructions below (keep in mind that if you do not have your 12-word backup phase and delete the following folder, you will lose you access to all you coins/tokens unless you have your private keys recorded (please record and save it first)):
- For Windows: C:\Users\<Your Computer's User Name>\AppData\Roaming\com.liberty.jaxx
- For macOS: /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/com.liberty.jaxx
4. Now you'll need to reinstall a fresh copy of Jaxx so head on to: https://jaxx.io/downloads, choose the OS you're on and download the latest version of Jaxx. Once that is installed you'll be asked to pair the 12-word Backup Phrase and follow the step-by-step process there to get your wallet configured and initialized.